The use of remote patient monitoring (RPM) continues to increase rapidly around the world to monitor and help treat chronic health conditions such as diabetes and cardiovascular disease. RPM allows for consistent monitoring, outside of a healthcare facility, for almost all patients.
However, one of the biggest mistakes RPM device managers make when considering an M2M solution for their device is that they dont fully understand the capability of the provider before making a selection. Identifying your needs and making sure that the M2M provider can satisfy those needs are critical to the success of your remote patient monitoring solution in the marketplace.
When analyzing M2M providers, there are several essential considerations you should take into account. While several telecom carriers have M2M offerings, since they are very busy growing and sustaining their smart phone business, their M2M service offering is left wanting from many angles and customers are stuck with a solution that doesnt really work for them. Secondly, there are MVNOs (mobile virtual network operators), that resell carrier solutions. Their offerings are limited by the capabilities of the carrier solution
When researching for an M2M solution provider, check for the following capabilities:
Focus on M2M: Is M2M the primary business of the provider. This is an important factor as this could impact the level of support youll get for your solution
Multi-Carrier solution: Can the provider offer a multi-carrier solution to maximize the coverage and availability of your solution to a wide customer base.
Real-time Device Management Platform: Once you have a large number of devices on the field, it will be critical to know the status of those devices at anytime and get immediate notification on any problems with the devices.
Lowest Total Cost of Ownership: While many customers are very focused on getting the lowest data rate plans, they are unaware of the fact that data charges are only 40 percent of the total cost of the solution. Troubleshooting problems with deployed devices and lifecycle management of the devices account for the remaining 60 percent of the costs. Providing the right toolset for troubleshooting and lifecycle management are critical to keep the total cost of ownership low.
Aeris is a specialist carrier that has built a Made-for-Machines platform that offers a carrier-agnostic solution with industry leading features for large-scale device management with the lowest total cost of ownership. We currently support some of the worlds most demanding customers on our platform.
Looking to learn more about enabling a M2M solution for remote patient monitoring? Getting started can be quite complex download our white paper about what to consider before deploying a telehealth device.