Flexible Connectivity Options
AERIS IoT CONNECTIVITY:
GLOBAL CONNECTIVITY FOR EVERY APPLICATION AND BUDGET
Aeris IoT Connectivity delivers flexible, next-generation connectivity and platform solutions. We use our platform to enable IoT connectivity to maximize the value and profitability of your application while we manage the underlying complexity. Aeris focuses on delivering not just network access, but specialized connectivity and platform solutions.
Global Cellular Connectivity
Aeris provides global 2G, 3G, and 4G cellular solutions across CDMA, GSM, and LTE networks. Aeris seamlessly delivers connectivity in more than 190 countries, across more than 550 underlying carriers, all delivered on a single platform. Aeris cellular networks were built specifically for IoT, delivering increased performance, control, and visibility. The Aeris networks were built for 99.995% reliability, and customer tests prove that its reliability is unmatched in the IoT / M2M communications industry.
The Aeris IoT Connectivity offering is designed to provide unmatched flexibility by enabling seamless management of multi-technology deployments. Aeris’ multi-technology, multi-network connectivity solutions deliver maximum value by combining the benefits of 2G/3G/4G cellular connectivity with the benefits of non-cellular technologies, such as low power wide area networks (LPWA), Wi-Fi, and more. Aeris simplifies the complexity of these deployments with seamless connectivity management on the Aeris IoT Connectivity management platform, regardless of technology or underlying network.
Aeris Wi-Fi / Cellular Hybrid Connectivity: A Step Ahead
The Aeris Wi-Fi / cellular hybrid solution seamlessly delivers the cost savings of Wi-Fi with the coverage and reliability benefits of cellular — in a single subscription. With a single platform for Wi-Fi / cellular provisioning, billing, reporting, diagnostics, and troubleshooting, the Aeris hybrid solution prevents carrier or technology lock-in, delivering more flexibility for your specific business needs.
Multiple Issues in Need of a Solution
The basic reasoning for the need of a hybrid connectivity solution comes from the fact that separately, Wi-Fi and cellular each have drawbacks. For instance, cellular connectivity comes with higher costs than those associated with Wi-Fi. Signal strength can be sketchy, especially indoors. Power consumption can get quite high, and location services are not as robust as required by most businesses.
Wi-Fi, on the other hand, comes with its own set of challenges. Coverage is not ubiquitous. Security for IoT functionality is severely lacking. Device provisioning is complex and time consuming. And Wi-Fi provides minimal visibility and control. The optimal solution would be a hybrid amalgamation of Wi-Fi and cellular, one that can use the best of each while eliminating the drawbacks of both.
Overcoming Issues with a Hybrid Solution
Rather than looking at what a specific technology cannot do, Aeris looks at what a combination of technologies can bring to the IoT universe. Specifically, a hybrid connection can provide:
- Improved overall coverage: Quite often, cellular connectivity suffers from poor indoor penetration. A hybrid solution, with an enhanced service selection, can optimize to stronger Wi-Fi signals where available. Additionally, if you are in a Wi-Fi hotspot and leave that area, a hybrid solution can seamlessly transfer you over to a conventional cellular network.
- Remote troubleshooting, less human intervention: Wi-Fi-only deployments go dark if a signal is lost or network credentials are changed. Wi-Fi credentials, however, can be re-established remotely. Hybrid connections maintain connectivity so any Wi-Fi issues can be investigated / resolved remotely. Fewer truck rolls translate to less hands-on requirements, leading to lower costs of ownership.
- Simplified installations: Configuring Wi-Fi credentials can be extremely time consuming. A pre-activated hybrid solution can leverage cellular connectivity’s ‘out-of-the-box’ capabilities to enable remote Wi-Fi configuration.
- Optimized costs: Wi-Fi offers lower data rates. Leveraging data off-loads to cheaper Wi-Fi networks reduces costs and enables increased data consumption.
The Aeris Connectivity Management Platform
Aeris has a purpose-built platform that provides a better global IoT solution across multiple carriers and multiple technologies. The Aeris Connectivity Management Platform reduces operational complexities while improving coverage and cost optimization by moving deployments away from connectivity silos to multi-channel implementations. And it does so using a single interface for all carriers, technologies, and deployments. By preventing carrier or technology lock-in, Aeris simplifies next generation hybrid technologies and gives companies greater control over deployments and agreements.
Use Cases in Action
The obvious benefits of a combined connectivity solution have opened the doors to a multitude of business sectors. Just to name a few, those gaining an advantage with a hybrid solution include residential solar; home healthcare; home security systems; smart cities; and vehicle monitoring platforms. All benefit from a lower cost, more reliable hybrid connectivity solution. For example, within the trucking industry (or for any roadway vehicle), cellular connections would work best while the vehicle is in motion, needing GPS or emergency services. While in the depot, however, Wi-Fi would be a fiscally sound (lower cost) pathway for transmitting static data, such as driver logs.
The Aeris AerPort Platform – Connectivity Management
The Aeris AerPort platform, along with APIs, delivers complete control over your IoT deployment through the entire device lifecycle. With real-time visibility into device performance and traffic patterns, and the ability to control costs through flexible alerts, alarms, and self-service troubleshooting tools, AerPort delivers greater operational efficiency, higher levels of automation, and, ultimately, much lower costs for all connectivity technologies and all deployment locations. AerPort has the tools and capabilities to help you identify problems faster, resolve issues quicker, and control costs at every stage of the device lifecycle. More about AerPort >
Bring Your Own Connectivity (BYOC)
Aeris helps simplify multiple carrier connectivity management by empowering customers with the capabilities to streamline cellular operations, control and manage cellular costs, and enhance troubleshooting capabilities―all on a single platform for all deployments. Bring Your Own Connectivity (BYOC) allows customers to simply bring their existing carrier relationships onto the Aeris Connectivity Platform.
Aeris provides a single platform to seamlessly manage current and future deployed devices regardless of technology or carrier provider. This flexible and modular platform allows customers to reduce the operational complexities of managing a multi-carrier deployment by enabling the management of cellular devices on the Aeris platform, alongside Aeris domestic and global deployments.
Advantages of a BYOC Concept:
- Single interface, single set of APIs for all carriers, all technologies
- Reduction in operational complexities and costs
- Simplified support processes
- Holistic reporting and analytics provide complete insight into entire deployment
- Increased scalability
With a single platform, and a single management interface for all devices on any carrier, the Aeris Connectivity Platform is architected to adapt to the rapid change of technology while simplifying the complexity of managing multiple connectivity relationships.
Embedded Universal Integrated Circuit Card (eUICC) is the latest evolution in standardized cellular SIM card technology. eUICC technology enables the storing of multiple subscription profiles on a single SIM card and allows an associated Subscription Management platform to remotely activate, deactivate, and change subscription profiles remotely.
The SIM itself, while often referred to as an embedded SIM, is available in various form factors (plugged-in or soldered) and enables users to change service providers without needing to physically change or replace the SIM card. eUICC-enabled SIMs have great potential to drastically change the way cellular IoT subscriptions are managed and optimized.
eUICC represents a huge leap in connectivity, in terms of how end users can select and change service provider profiles based on specific business needs or locations – giving solution owners the potential for unprecedented control over device connectivity
Advantages of eUICC-enabled SIM cards
- eUICC makes it possible to download and enable the network operator remotely via OTA updates.
- Increase flexibility and provide more control for IoT deployment owners
- Network migration possible without requiring an on-site SIM swap
- Embedded eUICCs remove the need for a SIM card holder, thereby reducing the needed space for the SIM and reducing the occurrences of it getting lost.
- Increase device security by eliminating risk of SIM card tampering
- eUICCs can be embedded into a device’s circuit board during manufacture, and then provisioned with the appropriate network operator profile for location and cost optimization.
- Increase speed to market
- Simplify supply chains by reducing the number of SKUs to track and manage
eUICC use cases examples:
- Service Insurance: Customer have long-term assurance and flexibility as they are not locked into a provider by having the freedom to migrate to a new provider/carrier OTA, if needed―without having to replace any hardware or SIMs.
- Future Proof: Where 2G/3G networks still are feasible options for deployments (i.e., Europe), but solutions eventually will need to migrate to LTE. eUICC, when deployed on the correct hardware, enables an OTA upgrade to LTE services without having to replace either the hardware or the SIMs.
[Talk to an Aeris Sales Rep to determine if Aeris eUICC SIMs are right for your deployment]
Aeris Infinity Support is optimized for the dynamic and mission-critical needs of IoT. Research has shown that service and support capabilities are a critical consideration for our customers when selecting an IoT / M2M service provider. The Aeris global support teams are staffed by M2M experts and powered by Aeris’ proprietary and patented Made for Machines™ technology stack to deliver unparalleled responsiveness, reliability, and expertise. Our mission is to work with you to decrease downtime, increase your operational efficiency, and maximize your profitability. More about support >
AERIS NETWORK COVERAGE
The Aeris network was designed to ensure consistent depth of coverage, thereby providing multiple carrier options for connectivity.
LTE Data Coverage Map
Access to leading nationwide 4G LTE connectivity optimized with 3G fallback capabilities.
CDMA Data Coverage Map
With access to more than 50 North American CDMA carriers, Aeris provides ubiquitous coverage to your devices, ensuring you can send and receive data as needed.
GSM Data Coverage Map
With more than 400 partners across 190 countries, Aeris provides worldwide connectivity with unmatched depth of coverage to your devices.